Monday, April 30, 2007

Process or Processed?




Picked up my New Identification Card last Saturday.

Ya, I am late by 1 year. Remembered Keeve was saying about getting the best photo for the new IC sometime back...and I just changed mine..I have been procrastinating. Dunno why also...

Anyway, the whole building was full of people!!! It felt like half the population of Singapore and all foreigners residing locally are there!! It's a big big turn off early in the morning...

Here's the conversation exchange between the lady behind the counter and myself when I collect my IC...(Pls note : She speak with zero emotion and expression on the face) :

"your Letter, old IC"

"Left thumb."

"Skin always Peel izzit?"

"No, just came back from cold country"~I offered a smile

No reaction from her.

"Right thumb. Stand Up. Easier to scan."

"Pay S$10 cash or nets."

"Sign, here, here, here and here"

"Left thumb"

"Right thumb"

"That's all."

Everything was over in less than 7 minutes.

I felt like I was processed instead of attended to. No smile, no emotion, no small talk from her. She worked like in a factory, processing products from the conveyer belt..."

How on earth can someone work like that?? You spent more than half a day at your work place, with this kinda attitude, approach..I dunno how to go on working.

Then again, I gave more thought into the whole scenerio, and you know what? I dun blame her. Not at all. Because, she is dealing and handling SINGAPOREANS day in and day out. I am sure she must have handled over 300 Singaporean per day, everyday in her work. I understand how she feels. I would have behaved the same way if I were in her shoes, attending to Singaporean everyday. I would be feeling suicidal if I were her..but she is there, working.

I am full of admiration for her now.. serving Singaporean...wow..These Singaporean, are among the top 5 worst human beings behavior in the world...it's no joke. Singaporeans(I am ashame to say I am a Singaporean too) are, afraid to loose, afraid to die, wants everything free, wants everything first, unreasonable, rude, no social awareness, thinks too highly of themselves, tunnel visoin, no regards for others, the list just goes on and on and on...

Way to go Miss XXX!!! Welldone, and thank you for processing me like one of the 257 Singaporeans before me that day.

On a seperate note, one of my favorite place in Singapore would have to be the Royal Copenhagen Cafe in Takashimaya. It serves nice coffee, tea, pastries and food. The ambience is nice and not many Singaporeans hang there, so, manners are assured. BUT, Singaporean seems to have discovered that place recently...

There are a good number of typical Singaporeans(rude etc etc) in the cafe as I walked in last Saturday afternoon. You can tell immediately who are the Singaporeans at first glance. sigh.

I would go there on weekdays more often than weekends next time...

Photos : Coffe, mixed fruit cake and green tea cake from Royal Copenhagen cafe....It's just so so yummy....

2 comments:

Keevy - 小明® said...

Hahaha...well written, man! And I would love to check out the Royal Copenhagen Cafe...after this post, it may even be more crowded now

Shupe said...

Sounds Like you have been in America Lately!!