Friday, April 27, 2007

Freedom of Expression


Leslie Kee.

Maybe you have not heard of him. But you definitely have seen his works before.

He is a Singaporean Photographer, based in Tokyo and New York. He had done lotsa celebrity phot shoots, for magazines, shows, playboy(Japan), Music CD covers, pictorial books etc etc. So, simply said, potrait is his area.

While in Tokyo, was very much tempted into buying one of his pictorial book for Koda Kumi.(very popular Japanese Singer at the moment). I must say, the first time, I saw the book cover in Kinokuniya in Singapore, I was amazed. I commented, "WOW! Nice! Very Nice!" And made a mental note to buy it from Tokyo when I am there(much cheaper there). But, somehow, I just did not buy...hahah!! Sometimes, things are funny...

His exhibition will be held in Singapore National Museum from Tomorrow to early May. Admission is free. Lotsa celebrities photos (Hong Kong, Japan, USA, Europe etc etc) will be exhibited. Pop by. Go take a look. It's nice.

He actually had a book with a collection of celebrities photos post in nude. This particular book and exhibition of his is banned in Singapore. I was quite surprise when I heard the news of the ban.

Here we are, building the Esplanade, wanted to develope Geylang into a Arts area, promoting arts and young talents, wanting to turn Singapore into a city of arts, and world class status. AND, guess what? We banned a great photographer's work, because of nudity content.

I don't know what to say. It's just so absurb. Arts is all about the freedom to express, without boundaries. But, WE restrict art to "no nudity". It does not matter what the reasons are for the ban, obvious genetials showing? Erected penis showing? wet Vagina? It does not explain and justify the ban.

Art should have not boundaries.

Wah Lan, I am really at a loss of words on what SINGAPORE did.

This just increase my dislike for this country. I know, this is a strong statement. But it's true. The only reasons I like this country is it's Safety, Food, Friends and places that let me meet/know all my friends in this life. That's it.

How does this fit in with Singapore's proclamations of openess, and plans to make Singapore a truly global, world-class city?

Aiyo, forget it "la"! Just keep on increasing the taxes and ensure every citizen remains rude can oready la. wat world class? world class kiasu and kiasi si bo? simi world class la?? we bery high class wat! siao.

Photo : Keys to unlocking freedom and openess??

1 comment:

Keevy - 小明® said...

Sometimes, it is the inconsistencies in applying the policy that irks people...